Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When Do I Get to Do a Shoot with Brett Favre?

I love my job.

I'm at such an advantage over anyone who doesn't have a job right now.

But I want to know when I get to do a shoot with Brett Favre.

I mean that's what advertising is about isn't it?

Doing shoots with celebrities. Striking up an engaging conversation with them. Finding out that they used to play Rainbow 6 on their computer too.

I bet Brett and I would become fast friends. He'd invite me down to Louisiana for a crawfish fry and to go toss the pigskin around with some High Schoolers. He'd probably even let me where his Super Bowl ring.

If only they'd let me go on a shoot with him.

What's that, none of our clients have deals with Brett Favre.

Well that sucks.

So what's the point.

In my one short month in advertising, I've learned isn't as glamorous as TV and movies may have you believe.  I'm not sitting in the cigar shop pecking away on my company laptop while I smoke Cubans with Mayor Daley.

You will sit in a cubicle. In fact, my creative director sits in a cubicle. You will go to status meetings, self-improvement seminars, you will listen to clients try to dictate copy to you.

There will be times when this job is mind-numbingly boring.

But for every 5 minutes of boredom at an agency, there are 25 minutes of pure joy (if you enjoy actually doing advertising.)

You'll get to come up with great ideas and really bad ideas and excitedly pitch them to your partners and work to make them better.

You'll pitch to a client and here the dawn of realization when they get it, and love the great idea.

You'll get to go out to lunch with your boss on occasion and have him/her buy you a beer.

You'll get to play Wii Tennis at 5 o'clock.

And you'll get to wear t-shirts and flip-flops in the summer.

Which is pretty cool.

And occasionally you'll work with the odd celebrity, if your client insists.

But for the most part you probably won't meet Brett Favre.

Which sucks, cause I could have totally caught one of his 90 mph 5 and outs.








1 comment: