Saturday, January 31, 2009

A month in review

I've been working for approximately 1 month now.

I'm blessed.

I have a job at an agency that is still winning new business, while many other agencies are losing business and some are just going out of business.

I have a great sr. writer who although he isn't required, has taken me under his wing and helped me take great ideas and great starts and make them into great ads.

I've sold a print ad. I've blown away the clients expectations for a tiny job. I've done freelance for my friends business. And I've gotten put on more clients.

But these aren't the reasons I'm blessed.

I'm blessed because I got to chase a dream.

At nearly 30 years old, I got to put off "real-life" for a few days each week for a year to pursue a career in one of the coolest businesses in the world.

And while there are no shortage of mean people, angry people, burned out people, in advertising, there is also no shortage in truly wonderful and creative people.

So my advice to you trying to finish up portfolio school is this.

Don't let the jerks in this industry get you down.

Don't let the creative directors who get their rocks off by putting down your student book discourage you.

Be inspired.

Not by advertising, but by real life.

Watch the news, read the papers, read the blogs. And watch at how no matter how terrible things get, there is always someone out there creating something beautiful.

And while I don't have any delusions that I am an artist.  I'm am a salesman who's pitch is given on an 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheet of paper. I still create. And I try to ad beauty in the world, even while I'm cluttering it with advertising messages.

You would do well to do the same.

Remember that even an ad has the power to make people smile and cry.

Focus on doing the former rather than the latter.

Thanks.

PJL 

No comments:

Post a Comment